All garage doors eventually need repairs. When your garage door acts up, the first thing on your mind is probably how much it’s going to cost to fix.
Repair costs depend on the extent of the repair, the parts involved, the size and type of your garage door, and how much your garage door company charges for service.
Some homeowners attempt the DIY route. Upfront, it might seem practical because you avoid service fees. However, it’s risky; without experience, you might cause additional damage or injure yourself. In any case, you’re still going to have to pay for tools or replacement parts if you don’t have them.
If you’re asking, “how much does garage door repair cost”, the average cost in the U.S. is $223, according to HomeAdvisor. Does that mean this is what you’ll spend? Absolutely not.
Average Costs of Garage Door Repairs
Here’s a look at the average costs of some common repairs, but what you ultimately spend depends on many factors. Please contact us at Garage Door Fresno for an exact quote.
- Garage door spring repair: Most garage door springs cost between $50 and $100. If you have two springs, and factor in materials and labor, expect to spend from $200 to $300.
- Broken cable: A frayed or broken cable must be replaced, which costs $150 to $200. Garage door cables are inexpensive but require time and effort for a professional to replace them.
- Misaligned sensor: If the door won’t close, the sensor may be obstructed or misaligned, which can be fixed for an average of $50 to $75 unless you can realign the sensors on your own.
- Track problem: A dented or bent track costs around $125 to $150, according to Angie’s List. Contractors have the tools to bend a trackback in shape or replace it.
- Noisy door: If your garage door is grinding, squealing, or screeching, you may just need some lubricant or to remove some debris from the tracks. If that doesn’t work, expect to pay a professional’s track repair bill.
- Broken glass: The estimated cost to fix a glass panel professionally is $75, while the glass itself may cost as little as $25.
- Bad circuit board: Replacing the circuit board runs at about $100, and includes reprogramming of remotes used to open and close your garage door.
- Rollers and hinges: Expect to pay $10 to $15 to fix each damaged/broken roller, while hinges are about $10 a piece.
Repair Costs and Garage Door Style/Material
Some garage doors are more advantageous over others in terms of repair cost. On average, sectional doors cost $128 to repair, according to HomeAdvisor. To repair a carriage-style door, expect an average repair bill of $133, while traditional one-panel doors cost $172 to repair.
Repair prices also vary with material. Wood is the most expensive material to repair, ranging on average from $190 to $215; also factor in painting costs, but the actual cost will vary depending on many factors, including the type of wood. Aluminum doors, on average, cost $176 to $200 to repair, but are rust-resistant, and thus resilient in humid coastal areas.
Fiberglass, which resists hot and cold temperature extremes, is durable and resists splitting. Repairing it costs $148 to $165 on average. Steel doors can withstand a lot, but they are prone to rust damage; fixing one typically costs around $135 to $155.
How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Garage Door?
When your garage door completely breaks or you may think it is better to upgrade than fix the outstanding problem, you may also be wondering what it costs to replace a garage door. This answer is a little tougher because the cost for garage doors and garage door installation depends on what kind of garage door you are looking to purchase.
- Cheapest garage door: uninsulated steel and aluminum garage doors tend to be the cheapest to purchase. This also includes premade sizes, which don’t allow for any customization. This is the best solution for those looking to replace a garage door on a budget or time crunch.
- Mid-range garage doors: Fresno garage doors made with wood, glass, or steel tend to be a bit more expensive, but also have a few extra perks. These garage doors tend to have more customizable designs, upgrades such as windows, and also withstand the weather much better than the standard garage door.
- High-end garage doors: The most expensive garage doors in Fresno are 100% wood or glass. They create sleek designs and are 100% customizable for the buyer.
When buying a new garage door, it’s essential you work with a reputable garage door company in Fresno that will perform the highest quality work and ensure everything is done on time and all customizations are correct. Always check the garage door website to see any specials or coupons being offered by the company for garage door installation or garage door repair.
Contact Precision Door Service of Fresno for a Quote
If you need to know how much a garage door repair costs, call us at 559-480-2955 for a free estimate and same-day service. Dispatchers are available to take your call day or night.