It is generally difficult to determine an exact timeframe for installing a garage door. Installation can typically be completed in a single day, over a few hours. However, there are many factors that affect how long it takes to install a garage door.
When garage door installers get started, they must disassemble and remove the old door first. Then they can place the new garage door panels and install tracks, rollers, springs, cables, and the garage door opener. How long it takes to install a garage door opener is a consideration, as this part alone can take four to six hours.
Professional installers also test the garage door system to ensure it is working properly. Every procedure completed during the installation process involves time. Other individual factors that affect how long garage door installation takes include:
- Professional installation: Qualified installers can work efficiently while getting the job done right the first time. If you were to attempt installation without experience, this will add time. A professional can complete a new build in as little as three hours, while replacing an old garage door requires additional steps.
- Size: Smaller doors understandably take a shorter amount of time to install than larger ones. In fact, size is the most significant factor regarding the length of time of installation. And, if modifications must be made to fit the door in place, the job will take longer to complete.
- Availability: Is the door in stock or available in your local area? If so, installation should be scheduled quickly; it is usually easiest to obtain basic raised panel doors. Other types, especially if they’re not in stock, can take weeks to get in.
- Type of installation: It can take about three to four hours to replace a door of the same type and size (for a door of roughly 16 feet). If the new door is compatible with the structure and available space, and your existing wiring and brackets are in good condition, installation is simpler than it otherwise would be.
- Weather conditions: Installing a garage door on a chilly, stormy day will take longer than if it is mild and calm. Excessive cold and heat can make working conditions difficult. On a pleasant day, the project should take less time.
Installing a Garage Door Is a Challenge
A garage door is not built like a regular door. It can therefore be extremely dangerous to install one without the right tools and experience. Garage doors are heavy and contain heavy-duty components such as high-tension springs and cables. The opening mechanism can be quite sophisticated, so you don’t want to risk making costly mistakes. With a professional installation, you can have a garage that’s safe, functional, and affords peace of mind.
If you need your garage door replaced, a professional company can complete the job in a half a day. Of course, it all depends on the size of the door, availability, weather, and other outside forces beyond your control. In many cases, same-day installations ensure the availability of your garage and security of your home.
Contact Precision Door Service Today
Precision Door Service of Fresno specializes in installing and repairing garage doors and openers. Offering same-day service, we don’t charge extra for evening or weekend visits. Our dispatchers are available 24 hours a day. If you need a new garage door or need to ask, “how long does a garage door installation take?”, call our team at 877-301-7474 for information, a quote, or to schedule service.